The Big Picture
March for Science on Earth Day, April 22nd
If you are interested in supporting science, check out this page for national information and this one for info here in Eugene.
Miller lab science
How does the brain wire together? The human brain is incredibly complex, containing more connections between neurons than the Milky Way galaxy has stars! The brain is wired, at a gross level, into stereotyped neural circuits, which underlie sensation, information processing, movement, and even consciousness. And disruption of wiring has been linked to many neurodevelopmental disorders, including autism.
do the neurons of the brain connect and wire up into circuits? We use zebrafish as a relatively simple model system and use genetics, biochemistry, cell
biology, circuit function, and behavior, to understand how the brain creates
functioning neural networks.
Check out what the lab is up to in the links above.
If you are interested in a position check our our available positions.
- 03/17 - Anisha wins a mini-grant for her work on coiling fish! YES!!!
- 02/17 - Dylan started, welcome!!!
- 02/17 - Laura joins as a new undergrad, welcome!
- 01/17 - 3D modeling of lab - its going to be nice!
- 01/17 - Lab demo has started, check it out.
- 01/17 - Welcome Alex for a rotation!
- 12/16 - Denver joins for a rotation, welcome!
- 12/16 - Emily and Austin give killer rotations talks! Well done!
- 12/16 - Miller lab turns one year old!
- 11/16 - Jen sent off a great grant - good luck!
- 09/16 - Emily starts her rotation and grad career as a Duck!
- 08/16 - Austin starts his rotation and his grad career at UO - welcome to the new Duck!
- 07/16 - Dylan joins the lab! He will start up in early 2017.
- 06/16 - Adam wins Chi-Bin Chien Award!
- 05/16 - Audrey found that tjp1b is required exclusively postsynaptically - first paper here we come!
- 04/16 - Anisha finishes the first figure for the first paper from the lab!!! We can do things!
- 04/16 - Hanna joins the lab. Welcome!
- 04/16 - Cody joins the lab. Our first physicist!
- 03/16 - Jen joins the lab!!!
- 02/16 - Happy Birthday Audrey!
- 01/16 - New lab photos, looking good.
- 01/16 - Miller lab warming party - champagne and beer and scotch!
- 01/16 - The lab can now do PCR! Audrey's proof is here!
- 01/16 - Anisha joins the lab! Welcome!!!
- 01/16 - First fish are in the facility swimming in their new Duck tanks!
- 12/15 - Lab official started - here we go!